As fall rolls around, jeans become a staple and a necessity. However, it is so frustrating to shop for jeans. Every store uses a different pattern to make their jeans, so there is no universal fit or sizing. At one store, a pair of jeans could fit you in the waist but be too short, and in a another store the same size could be too long and tight on the waist. I know that the frustration is all too real.
I recently went shopping and was upset to find that I could not find jeans from my favorite jean store that I felt were a good quality fit. I was on the verge of tears thinking that I would never find a perfect fitting pair of jeans ever again (I wish I were joking). None the less, I went into every store in the mall that sold jeans. I tried on a bunch of different styles at every store but was not 100% happy with any of them. I was getting more and more discouraged by the minute and almost didn’t go into the final store (Levi’s). I am so glad I did though because I found two pairs of jeans that fit perfectly and I could not be more happy with.
Here are some tips for finding jeans with the right fit:
- Know what kind of jeans you are looking for. Prepare this before you begin your shopping process. There are so many combinations that it’s very easy to feel overwhelmed if you don’t have a game plan. Ask yourself “Do I want skinny, flair, or something in the middle? What wash do I want? What kind of waist would I feel most comfortable in (low rise, mid rise, high rise)?”
- Try on multiple sizes for each jean. Nobody wants a jean to be to lose or too tight, so get multiple sizes. I have even had my size vary with different types of jeans in the same store.
- Take your time. I like to take my time when trying on jeans because they can be tricky. I try to do different activities while I am trying them on like walking around to see if they will fall down when I move, sitting down to make sure the back isn’t too low, bending down and squatting to see the flexibility of the fabric, and staring in the mirror and seeing if I like the wash on (it can look different from when they are folded). This may sound a little odd but it will give you a better idea of how they feel.
- If they don’t feel right and you don’t feel 100% confident in them, move on. You may be reluctant because you’ve been eyeing this pair for a while but, trust me, you’ll be happy you didn’t settle when you find the perfect pair.
- Don’t get discouraged. I know it can be disheartening when you feel the world is working against your mission to find the perfect jeans but don’t worry! With some time and effort you will.
Do you have any tips for finding jeans? What are your favorite type? What stores do you like? Please let me know! I am always looking for different store and styles to try. 🙂